Tuesday, September 28, 2004

The Queen of Spades

Today was fairly uneventful. Kevin's alarm went off at 6:30, and instead of getting to the gym by 7:00 I decided to lay in bed for another hour. By the time I got up it was too late to go to the gym without being rushed, so I just showered and had a peaceful breakfast by myself in the common lounge. (I purchased a variety pack of cereal from Campus Market, which is the only supermarket-type store I can use my meal plan money at. This morning was Cheerios and Cocoa Puffs, which was a nice change from the Rick Krispies I'd been having every morning.) I had enough time to read a section of my physics book before I took a leisurely bike ride to my 10:00 calculus class.

Calculus was not the best today...we're doing conic sections. Remember those? Parabolas and ellipses and hyperbolas? You may recall doing them in algebra II. They don't really have anything to do with calculus, which my professor even admitted. But we're doing them, and they're frustrating. My homework took me longer than I would have liked, but then I had plenty of time to do it, so it all worked out. I'm done with math homework until Thursday. Hooray!

After calculus I went to the gym (You all thought I was going to blow it off completely, didn't you?) and had a smoothie from Lucy's Juice for lunch. I came home, did some homework, ran to the university cashier to pay the "music use fee" (that's it...I'm committed to band now) and then to the bookstore to purchase my copy of the "bandbook," which is like the Royal Regiment's handbook except that I have to pay for it. By the time I was finished with all of that, Kevin had gone to his 4:00 class, so I had our room to myself for 2 hours. I decided to practice trumpet, as I'll have to audition for the director in a couple of days. I tried to be as considerate as I could...I stuffed all of my pillows at the bottom of my door in an attempt to decrease the sound emitting from my room. I apparently was still loud because Danielle slid a note under the door that asked if I knew what she thought the most annoying instrument was. Isn't that great. People blast their stereos all day long and stay in the common lounge laughing and talking loudly until 2 in the morning, but my trumpet playing is all that's annoying. People can be so inconsiderate, particularly college people. It shouldn't be a problem after today, though, because tomorrow I'll be assigned a locker in the music building to keep my music stuff and a room in which to practice. So that will be fine.

The whole of Yosemite Tower 2 went to dinner at VG's, right down the street, and then I came home and found little organizational things to do to keep myself entertained. Oh, and I spent the last hour playing hearts. Hence the title.

And that's about it. I'm not sure how interesting you all find these kind of entries. You know, the ones where nothing out of the ordinary happened to me and I just give you a minute by minute description of my classes, homework, and errands. I apologize for them. But hey, none of you have to be reading these, and therein lies the beauty of Living the SLO Life. (I so enjoy referring to my blog by its title, in italics. I feel like such an author. :-)

Oh, well here's something of interest: yesterday at dinner I became separated from my dinner buddy and had to fend for myself as far as seating goes. I noticed a girl sitting by herself at a table, so I went and asked if I could sit with her. And that worked out dandily. But the rest of her friends soon showed up...and that's always a little awkward. You know, they're all Tower 6, and I'm Tower 2. So you can see that it's kind of hard to break out of the groups formed in the first couple weeks of school. But today we passed each other on the street, and we both recognized each other. So maybe I will be able to continue making friends. Oh, and her name was Jenna (with a J...I asked) so that automatically makes her cool in my book.

And that's all there is. Boo yah.

Josh

mood: worried that I'm not going to get enough sleep because Kevin is showing no signs of going to bed soon
music: guy playing guitar in neighboring room
location: the room next to the room with the guy playing guitar


|

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?