Saturday, October 09, 2004

Fun, Fun, Fun, even after my daddy takes my t-bird away

No post yesterday because got home late and was tired. Whoops. But I have a good reason! I'll get to it in a minute...

Yesterday (Friday) I checked with all of my instructors (you don't have teachers in college, you have instructors) about whether or not I could go to a different section of the same class. It turns out I can. So that means I can move all of my Friday classes and come home Thursday night for Homecoming! Woot! That makes the whole trip a little more sensible - a lower ratio of driving to being at home. So I get two and a half full days now. Mark your calendars.

Liz, Emma, and I decided to play a good game of San Diego Edition Monopoly in the afternoon for lack of something better to do (most of the people on the floor had gone somewhere unbeknownst to us). I got lucky and happend to land on all three oranges and built up a trio of hotels pretty early in the game. Liz chanced upon a monopoly in the yellows a little later on and gave me a run for my money. But she got bored and left the game, and everyone else around was too drunk to play because they had all just come back from some party. But it was fun anyway.

After dinner I went to a "movie mad-libs" party put on by the band frat, kappa kappa psi. (They're not a typical fraternity. They don't have a house, and they're school sponsored or something so they don't have the wild parties you think of when you think of frats.) The night was supposed to be all about turning down the sound on movies and then filling in what the characters are saying (a la Whose Line is it Anyway), but none of us could come up with anything great to say, so we ended up just watching the movies. We watched Bill and Ted's Bogus Journey and Terminator 2, neither of which had I seen before. Bill and Ted played battleship with Death in Bogus Journey (sorry, Alena, not your kind of battleship...), and I'm pretty sure Terminator is a lot better when we have the Governator in office. So yeah, that night was fun. It was the first thing I went to (of my own choice, anyway) where I knew absolutely no one. (It's a pretty scary feeling...no one to cling to...) But I made so many friends there. It's amazing how well I get along with band folk as opposed to the random mix of people that happen to be on my dorm floor. So hooray! I found a group of friends! Although, last night they were just people whose names I was able to remember...I wouldn't really have called them my friends until today.

--seamless transition to Saturday--

I got up, went to Light House for breakfast/lunch, came home and did calculus and physics.

Then 4:30 rolled around, and I walked down to 1324 Foothill, where the Mustang Maniacs (the school spirit club) were throwing a BBQ for all of the spirit organizations (cheer, dance, band). I saw most of the same people at the BBQ that I had met the night before, so I mostly hung around with them. There was free food! Good free food! So we ate and talked, etc. You can imagine...mingle, mingle, mingle.

At 7 the BBQ had pretty much wound down, but a bunch of us band froshies still wanted to do stuff. So the 8 of us - Jen, Steve, Ben, Courtney, Nate, Bloomie (Dave), a guy whose name I didn't catch, and me - came back to my room to watch (you guessed it) Family Guy. After a couple episodes of that someone discovered my board game stash and they all really wanted to play one. I love these people!!! So we played Hoopla, which is the Cranium spin off where you're all on the same team racing against the clock to get people to guess your cards. We played two games of that, which went a little something like this: I dealt three cards to everyone because there were so many of us we didn't think we could get through four cards each in the allotted fifteen minutes. But we kicked butt. So we decided to play again not only with four cards each but also with the timer constantly running instead of stopping it between turns. It came down to one card and we lost in the very end. But it was the most fun I have had here since I got here. Period. We were all so into the game and making a ton of noise...somewhere in the middle of it all the rest of the people from the floor - who had all gone to Fresh Choice for dinner - came back and observed the party in Josh's room. It has now been well established that I'm a member of the band cult. Whoo! Kevin came back after our second game, and since he had been hoping to get some homework done I and all the band folk cleared out of the room and went over to Ben and Nate's rooms over in Tower 5. There, we played Mao and other assorted games. (By the way, I have a suggested amendment to the Mao rules for those of you who still play it: allow talking during the game, but give a penalty if a question is asked. Any question. It's easy enough to not talk, but it's hard to speak normally while avoiding the question marks. I discovered how many questions you ask without even thinking about it. So yeah, try it...it's fun!) After a while Ben and Courtney, who happen to be dating, decided to...erm...get a little privacy in Ben's room, so the rest of us watched The Six String Samurai in Nate's room. I watched about a half an hour and could not for the life of me understand that movie, and since a few of the group had already gone home I decided to call it quits for the day. And that was fine with everyone (not that they wanted me to leave, but they weren't pressuring me to stay...know what I mean?).

And now I'm here, typing away. All in all, it has been a good couple of days. I'm so glad I've finally found a bunch of people I really want to spend time with rather than people who I'll go along with because I have nothing else to do and don't want to be a loner. So hooray. It looks like joining band is going to turn out to be the best decision I made in college, just like it was in high school.

And on that note (ha ha...that one never gets old) I'll leave you to your thoughts. Good night!

Josh

mood: energetic
music: "You Dropped a Bomb on Me" from our field show, playing in my head
location: dorm - it's hot in here


|

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?