Friday, October 22, 2004

Home Sweet Home

I'm home!! After six hours of driving (well...five hours of driving and one hour of eating and dropping people off) I made it back to good ol' Rancho Bernardo. Strangely, it's not as awesome as I thought it might be. My bedroom and bathroom are quite empty and you could tell that no one has been using them (there was a dead moth floating in the toilet). San Diego is my home, but all of my stuff has been moved up to SLO. And everything that needs to be done is up in SLO. It almost feels like I don't belong anywhere. But I'm sure that I'll feel better tomorrow when I see all of my favorite people, because they're what defines my home.

Anyway, sorry for not writing yesterday. I have a pretty good - and pretty interesting - reason. Last night I figured I'd try to get to bed at an earlier hour because I knew I'd be doing a lot of driving tonight and I didn't want to be tired. But I wanted to do my laundry, because I usually do it on Wednesdays. So I went down to our laundry room on the first floor. It just so happened that Liz, from my floor, had been there three minutes before and started her laundry in all three washers. Grr. But, being the resourceful engineering student that I am, I went down to tower zero to use their laundry room. And all three washers were available. So, thinking very highly of myself and my master plan, I loaded my whites into one washer and my colors into another washer. Forty minutes later I returned, Bounce in hand, to move my clothes into the dryers. First the whites, then the colors. But when I opened the colors washer, I found to my great disappointment that the washer had failed to spin and drain properly: my clothes were completely soaked. Sigh. I had to wring out every garment individually. By the time I had everything loaded into dryers the laundry room floor was completely covered in water. But...whatever, I thought to myself. I lost twenty minutes, but at least the laundry's done, right? No, not exactly. One dryer cycle gets you sixty minutes, and, if you can't see where I'm going with this, it wasn't enough to dry my clothes. So I had to spend the money and the sixty minutes on another cycle. Sigh. I got to bed before 1, at least. What's even more annoying, though, is that my laundry card stopped working. (We don't put coins or cash into the machines. Instead, we deposit money in a machine and it credits our laundry card, which the laundry machines then read. Supposedly it makes cleaning easier. Read on to see whether the system works or not.) Long story short, the machines stopped reading my card somewhere between loading the washer and loading the dryer. I had to borrow a friend's card to finish my laundry. I'm pretty annoyed about this because I'm pretty sure I'm not going to get the $16 I had stored on my card back. Stupid laundry system.

So anyway, that was how last night went. Fun, huh? Yeah. Hey, you know what else is fun? Learning an entire field show in ninety minutes! Seriously, though...it was fun. We're marching the first halftime show that everybody learned before I joined band at next week's game, so I have to learn it. It turns out that one of the girls in my section has some test to take so she won't be able to march the Davis game. (Oh, that's right Stacie.) So I get to march her hole. So all I had to do today was shadow her, and that wasn't so hard. It was interesting, though, because she was always in the form and I was always slightly behind it. Yeah, it was totally against my marching band instincts. Oh well. I kind of know it now...somewhat...mostly.

Oh, Stacie, I have to tell you: the Davis band is coming to SLO next Saturday for the game. And we're having a band-off! Apparently that's where the bands stay after the game and play songs back and forth until one of them can't play a new one. And the competition seems to be pretty strong. I guess last year the Mustang Band went up to Davis and beat the Davis band on their home turf, maybe because they were better and maybe because it was raining and Davis was the only band in full uniform. I'm not sure...I wasn't there. But it should be fun. Tune in next week for the outcome!

Okay, well, I want to not stay up too late tonight. I have so many things I want to do and people I want to see this weekend. So I'll talk to you all later. I'm going to go watch The Apprentice with Mom.

Cheers,
Josh

mood: some weird mix of really tired and really wired
music: no music...the Apprentice!
location: Mom's house, San Diego, CA


|

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?