Monday, October 04, 2004

Pralines and Cream

I spent the greater part of the afternoon running little errands and such. I sent away the DMV change of address form, which enables to tell the San Diego Superior Court that I'm a resident of San Luis Obispo County and am therefore not eligible to serve on a San Diego jury. (They wanted me to report on November 2, which isn't going to happen. If I could conceivably make it there, I'd go. It is my civic duty, after all.) I also went to Julian's in the university union, which is this coffee and ice cream shop. I got a two scoop sundae, which ended up being a lot bigger than I had planned on (it came in one of those banana split boats!). So hooray for ice cream for lunch! I know it's not healthy, but I can afford that every once and a while. Besides, I came home and polished off those green beans I bought last week.

I went to wind orchestra rehearsal tonight, and it was great. I'm really liking everyone I meet there. Richard and I sit at the bottom of the wind orchestra, and he clues me in to all of the goings on. He and Mike (who's the section leader in the marching band) are hilarious. So yeah, band is great. They also seemed pretty happy that I joined the marching band in addition to wind orchestra. So hooray. Although it isn't all just peachy keen; I do have one complaint. We're playing Aaron Copland's "Fanfare for the Common Man," and I know many of you reading this (who aren't in band) might not recognize this piece by name, but if you heard it I'd guarantee you'd remember hearing it before. It's a solemn and majestic piece that revolves around a single theme which is introduced by the trumpets. When you hear a professional band play it, you can only hear one trumpet, because they're all perfectly in tune on every note. But, uh, the Cal Poly Wind Orchestra isn't quite so refined. And that's putting it mildly. "Fanfare for the Common Man" is one of those pieces you shouldn't be allowed to play if you can't play it perfectly. And it's my professional opinion that we probably can't. Fifteen trumpets in unison? Not going to happen.

But hey, I'm enjoying myself nonetheless.

Oh, and I have some good news. (By the way, there was an entry for yesterday that I don't believe was actually posted until this afternoon because Blogger was being fussy last night. This particular entry has some unfortunate news that you ought to read if you haven't yet. This paragraph is a follow-up of that news.) I was reading the band handbook and I came across the page that lists all of the dates and times for performances, and the Arroyo Grande Tournament of Bands wasn't listed there. That leaves the weekend of October 22 open. And that would mean I can come home for homecoming!! So at this point, I'm not sure whether we're doing this exhibition band thing or not, but I hopefully will find out tomorrow. Just don't get your hopes up.

And that's all I've got.

Josh

PS - bookkeepers but no librarians
PPS - Lauren and Renee need to come up here and show these people how the Stars and Stripes Forever piccolo solo is supposed to go.

mood: a little sore...I'm not sure why
music: Kevin's practicing viola
location: dorm (where else?)


|

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?