Saturday, October 23, 2004

Where The Heart Is

I really enjoyed myself today. For starters, I was able to go to bed when the heck I wanted. And this morning I got up when the heck I wanted. It was nice. Mom made me a nice big breakfast, which was made even more delicious be my home cooking deprivation at Cal Poly. After that I went and picked up my tux at the cleaners, and then went over to good old RB High to talk to Mr. Cole about playing with the band at the homecoming game. I got there at about 11:50, thinking lunch had just started. But nobody was around...it was a little eerie. But it finally occurred to me that there was a homecoming assembly today, so hooray for altered school schedules. Mr. Cole said I could play with the band; I was very excited. Since I was at school at lunch time I decided to go and have lunch with the "lunch group," which was a good trip down memory lane. (You know, because that was so long ago.)

After lunch Mom and I drove out to Dad's house to see Dad and also to see the house. It has a deck now! It's a really nice house...I'm kind of sad that Dad's eventually going to sell it. Oh well, it's all about the memories...and I'll always have those.

I could only stay at Dad's for about a half an hour because I wanted to go visit my old teachers and I didn't know how long they'd stay around after school. So back to RB I went. Carp had to leave right after school - as he tends to do on Fridays - so I didn't get to see him. But I did see Dr. Englund between book conferences, and it was good to see her again. (I know you all think I hate English and everything I have to do with it, but Dr. Englund's class was actually very influential in my life. I felt bad, though, because Dr. Englund asked me what classes I was taking and the only thing I have that isn't math and science was music theory. You could tell she was checking me for English...and I failed. Oh well. I told her about the fictional writing class I want to take for one of my GE requirements...that's almost as good...kind of...somewhat.) I also went to see Mrs. Evans, my seventh grade teacher. I showed her the picture of Renee and me in front of the White Tower in London, which she appreciated. (Mrs. Evans's curriculum includes building a paper model of the White Tower.) So that all was fun.

I went to Ashley's for about an hour after that. I told her all about the band at Cal Poly in an effort to get her to come there and join. I'm not sure that the Mustang Band marches clarinets, though. Ashley said that if they didn't then she would just switch to trumpet. Fifty cool points to Ashley.

After that I ran over to Les Kepics's house to borrow a trumpet from him. Les's lessons were annoying sometimes but he's a really good guy; it was good to see him again. And he was very nice to lend me one of his trumpets for the night. (I needed one for the game because mine wouldn't fit in my car with three other people and their luggage.) Someone please remind me to take that trumpet back to him tomorrow between 11 and 1.

I made my way back home to get changed for the game, and then it was back to RBHS! It was a busy night: ride in a convertible (a 1928 Mercedes...Cruella DeVil's car!), change into band uniform to play with the band for the first half, change back into tux to crown the next homecoming king, change back into band uniform to finish the game with the band. It was all fun! In the convertible parade they announced that I'm an electronical engineer at Cal Poly. Whoops. It sounds like something George W. Bush might say. Playing with the band was very much fun...I miss playing our fight song. It was neat, though. I hadn't told anyone that I planned to play with them. When I went up into the stands I took off my Cal Poly sweatshirt to reveal my RB band polo shirt underneath, and I grabbed my trumpet that was lying conveniently nearby. Very superhero-ish. Oh, I also got to listen to the band play their field show before the game. (They didn't march because of all of the rain this week. This was my only change to see them! Boo hoo...) RB really does have a fantastic music program. I know everyone at RB hears this all the time but you really don't appreciate it until you go and play with an average ensemble. Seriously, RB plays magnificently. At halftime I crowned the new homecoming king. Hooray! I didn't know who he was...it would have been fun to crown another bando...oh well, you can't win them all.

So all in all, the whole thing was fun. Fun, fun, fun. After the game a bunch of us went to Denny's. I had some good conversations with the people that I've missed for so long. I think that if I keep saying how much fun I'm having at Cal Poly I can convince some of you to go there. Seriously...nothing but fun at Cal Poly.

All right...I'm extremely tired, so I'm going to go to bed. I'll see you all tomorrow.

Cheers,
Josh

mood: tired but content
music: The Mask is on in the background
location: Mom's house, San Diego, CA


|

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?