Monday, November 08, 2004

Candide to Overture

I think I'd like to report this day in the reverse order of what actually happened. So good night, and have a good week.

I spent the last 45 minutes playing video games, which I haven't done in the last couple of weeks. I think I've pretty much grown out of video games. They can only entertain me now for an hour at the most. Add in the fact that I don't have all that much free time to play video games, and you can imagine how little I play them. It's kind of sad really...I miss being so easily entertained. But alas, I'm just to sophisticated now.

Band ended about an hour before it usually does. WindO rehearses until 8:15, when windE joins us and we practice our combined pieces. But since Bandfest is now in the past, we don't need to rehearse with windE anymore. So we were free to go at 8:15. I was able to use the extra hour for video games. Before we left, however, we played three new pieces: "Ride," "Marriage of Figaro" (transposed for winds) and...ready for this?..."Overture to Candide." I had thought windE was playing Candide, but it turns out we get to! I was so excited. Everyone was sight reading, though, so it didn't sound all that great...but it was still fun! (It makes me miss RB, though.) "Ride" was also...uh...interesting. It's one of those pieces that changes time signatures just about every measure. I'm pretty sure that the sounds we produced weren't really what the composer had in mind. We'll eventually get it...probably.

Before that I had dinner at VG's. I had a sandwich because VG's has not yet figured out how to make a sandwich taste absolutely horrible. I'm sure they're working on it.

At 4:50 I had my trumpet audition with J for next quarter. I played two relatively easy pieces out of the Arban's book. The first piece, "Carnival of Venice," was just okay. J told me some things to do to improve my sound, and when I did them my sound vastly improved, which I'm pretty sure impressed him. We talked for a few minutes before I played my second piece, "Bolero." This one was more technical; I played it very well. J said I played it with "so much finesse," which I did. So, in short, I kicked that audition's butt. Although I am hoping to stay in windO and not advance to windE because windO plays pieces I really like, and windE is playing "Toccata and Fugue in D Minor." You know, because I didn't get enough of that last semester...

I spent about an hour practicing for that audition. I meant to spend some time in the music lab, putting my music theory composition into a scoring program, but it turns out that the music lab computers don't have the program the lady in the music office told me they did. The lady in the music lab said the scoring program was on the computers in the music office. Sigh. At least I got enough practice in.

I took the greater part of the early afternoon to do homework, and now I'm even more caught up than I was yesterday. Woot! I also went over to the Cal Poly Foundation administration building to make my meal plan payment for winter quarter, and since that's right down the street from Campus Market, I decided to do some shopping. I was in a generous mood, so I bought Kevin some milk so he wouldn't have to go all the way down to the market himself. I bought myself some cheddar chex mix and some Chef Boyardee ravioli cups. Tres exciting.

I took a nap right after I got back from class. Naps are never quite long enough...

And my day before that was average. Calculus, music theory, and physics. It's Monday, so of course I stayed up later than I should have last night and was tired all day. But my nap cured that (for the most part).

I woke up at about a quarter to seven, and that's where this day started.

Cheers,
Josh

mood: relaxed somewhat, mostly due to the extra time I got from windO ending early
music: The Italian Job in the background, not of the room, but of my computer. Yay DVD drives!
location: dorm

PS- I realized that my signoff should have occurred at the beginning of this entry if I truly was to do it backwards, but I couldn't bring myself to end this on "and that's where my day started." So, once again, cheers.


|

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?