Sunday, April 10, 2005

Mission: Improbable Too

So yeah, I meant to finish the previous post sooner than this...but I've had things to do...you all understand. Anyway, here's how Courtney's day actually went, from my perspective:

I got up at 6:45 (after having stayed up until nearly 1:00) to go and deliver the balloon and first note to Courtney's door. A moment of panic soon hit me: it was raining outside! The whole meeting-in-garden-with-flowers and dinner-on-beach was going to be ruined. I thought about changing to a different meeting place, but after checking the weather I decided to chance it. Fingers crossed, I walked over to Courtney's hall. Muir was still locked down for the night, so I called Jamie - who lives on Courtney's floor - to let me in. I quietly left the stuff at her door and made my way back home.

After a shower, I headed over to the music building to stash another note and the jar of jelly beans. From there I went to Sandwich Factory to enjoy a nice cup of coffee and a doughnut, a breakfast that I have come to fully appreciate. Upon my return home I had some time to kill, so I decided to check my friends' blogs. Courtney's had a new post from the night before: she planned to get up early to go to work. Get up early?! It was possible that she had left before I got there. I called Jamie to ask her to check of the balloon was still in the hallway, but she assured me that Courtney had found it. So hooray.

After my first class, I went to Science North to hide the rest of the notes and the picture frame. As I walked back to Yosemite from there I thought it a good idea to take the music building route so that I could check if Courtney had found the second note. When I arrived there, the note was still taped to the wall. I figured she had just missed it; I went home to have lunch without much worry.

When I returned to the music building on my way to digital analysis lab, all was well: the note was gone. Yay! And to make a long story short, I stopped throughout the day at all the other places I had hidden things, and one by one I found that they had been collected.

When I went to meet Courtney at the garden, the weather had cleared up. Woot! Her phone was on silent so I couldn't call her to distract her, so she saw me coming from a pretty good ways away. She ran up and hugged/kissed me, which was simply wonderful. She seemed very pleased with her day, so I guess it was a success.

From there we drove to Pismo beach to enjoy our dinner. It was a tad bit windy (we were attacked by sand on more than one occasion) but was otherwise fun. We were only there for maybe a half an hour; I had dress rehearsal that night. When I came home we spent another couple of hours together. All in all, I had lots of fun administrating the whole thing, and I think Courtney had a great day. (If you want to hear the story from Courtney's perspective, you'll have to read it in her blog.)

In other news, West Side Story has been going fairly well. We aren't Broadway, but we're adequate. The kids are good actors and are decent singers. Our largest problem is that they don't know when to come in/they don't know how long to hold notes, so very often the singers get separated from the orchestra. The conductor frequently has to call out measure numbers and we all have to jump forward or backward so that we're in sync with the actors again. Usually, it works. Today, though, was a different story. Something happened in "Something's Coming." It's a song that's in a very fast three but that sounds like it could be in two; it's easy to get lost if you don't know it...anyway, Tony either accidentally repeated a verse or accidentally skipped one, because somehow he was completely off from where we were, and we couldn't figure out where he was. The conductor had to cut us off at the end and Tony had to sing the last few notes a capella...oh well...most people probably didn't notice...maybe.

Just one more story: the lead trumpet player got lost in "The Rumble." Instead of trying to figure out where we were, he put his trumpet down and sat out the rest of the song, arms crossed. Professional players should not throw temper tantrums when they screw up! Sigh...he's an interesting fellow. He tends to curse quite audibly when he makes a mistake. Oh well. He hits the high notes...what else do you need?

Okay, I'm done. Sorry if the second description of Courtney's birthday was repetitive...but I enjoyed writing about it. I realize that this hasn't been the most eloquent entry, but I'm tired, and I'm watching Friends in the background. You all understand, I'm sure.

Blah blah blah conclusion blah.

This blog will self-destruct in five seconds,
Josh

mood: just okay...I'm not feeling so great about this entry
music: watching Friends
location: dorm

Quoted Randomness:
[an insight into the genius that is my neighbor]
"They should officially change 'chemistry' to 'gay-mistry.' "
--Phil with the big-ass subwoofer

[in a description of what's to be learned in linear analysis]
"We learned how to determine if a particular set of equations is in the realm of the magical kingdom of the tenth dimension."
--Me

[after a comment that the NRA should clear the pigeons out of the performance room]
"The NRA doesn't have time to deal with our pigeons. They're too busy shooting condors...and minorities."
--Robert, first trumpet guy


|

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?