Tuesday, May 31, 2005

Tempo I Circle

Sorry I haven't written...I haven't been too busy to write or anything. I just haven't really been in the mood. So it goes.

I've had a very good past few days. Here we go:

There was a fantastic performance by the US Coast Guard Band (yes, THE Coast Guard Band) on Thursday in our PAC. Everyone in windO or windE was required to attend, but I'd have gone anyway. Besides, it was free! (Our tax dollars at work, right?) I have NEVER been so thoroughly entertained or impressed by a musical performance. Most of the stuff they played was patriotic in nature, but not overly so. They had a couple of good marches (including Henry Fillmore's "Americans We" which is, quite simply, addicting) a patriotic-staple-songs medley, an eight-member swing band (with an awesome rendition of "The Boogie-Woogie Bugle Boy from Company B" for which the entire trumpet section came out and played), a suite of the music from Catch Me If You Can, a medley of the five branches' songs (which was moving because all of the veterans in the audience got to stand for their branch, and the entire band stood (obviously) for the Coast Guard's song), and Dvorak's "Carnival Overture." Oh, and they encored with "The Stars and Stripes Forever," which I totally called. Everything was so flawlessly played...it was absolutely astounding. There aren't many professional wind orchestras (i.e. no string instruments) around, and it is definitely good to hear the exact sound that we in windO and windE are trying to produce. Yes...the concert was great. Afterwards, there was a reception in the choir room for the performers and the audience put on by KKPsi (and, specifically, organized by Courtney). There were chocolate covered strawberries, sherbet punch, and enough cake to feed an arm...er...Coast Guard. It was all so great! Thursday night kicked butt.

Friday night saw Courtney and I frustrated with Campus Dining for closing everything but Light House for almost the entire weekend. I've managed to blow all of my plu$ dollars on food, so now I have to spend them wisely. $8.60 is quite a bit for a dinner, especially when the food is of the quality of Light House...grumble. But, luckily, Courtney and I were summoned to a BBQ at Nick's apartment in Cerro Vista. It was quite the production: grilled cheeseburgers and chips and sodas and watermelon and delicious brownies. And it was fun to just hang out with everybody. They all decided to watch movies after dinner, but Courtney and I had already rented Aliens, so we went back to my room to watch that. (It was pretty good...but not as scary as Courtney said that it was.) And that concluded Friday (and the first couple of hours of Saturday).

A large part of Saturday was spent doing digital design homework. The problems are such that I have to do a ton of boolean algebra to get some equations, and then I have draw a big fat circuit that takes up almost half a page. It wasn't so bad...it's just that my teacher assigned so many problems that asked me to pretty much the exact same thing. I mean, really...I get the point! I don't need to do fifteen of these darn things. Oh well...it's done now. And I do have to admit that I'm fairly well versed in designing these circuits. So woot. Not much else happened on Saturday.

Courtney had some old bread in her room that was getting moldy, so she thought it would be a good idea to go to Laguna Lake on Sunday to feed the ducks. Sunday was a beautiful day, albeit slightly windy at the Lake. But we had fun. I love ducks; they're so cheerful. (But geese? Geese are frickin' scary. Ducks quack nicely at you if they want some food. Geese chase you. And man, they're pretty big.) We also spend a good chuck of time sitting on a dock on the lake. It was nice...one of those rare moments in life where everything stops and you can appreciate the sights and sounds and smells (see Jenna's recent blog post.) Another good day. That night, Courtney and I watched episode IV of Star Wars, which I hadn't seen in a while. I'll have to watch V and VI soon...

Monday was the day of the all-band picnic at Cuesta Park. We rode our bikes there at about noon. Three hours were spent throwing frisbees and funky foam footballs around, eating all sorts of BBQ'd meat and homemade pastas and desserts, and even auctioning off the services offered by different KKPsi members (I wanted to buy TouTch's lesson on maintaining a bicycle...but I ain't got $35 to blow on that. Courtney's promise of a car wash went for $30.) Nothing particularly noteworthy happened...it was just fun. I suppose that was kind of the theme of the weekend: nothing spectacular, but everything enjoyable. I got to do all of the little things. Ahhh...fulfillment!

And then school started today and some classes happened and whatnot. Blah blah. But who cares?! My weekend was good.

But, alas, there is also class tomorrow. So I must be to bed.

We think it means "tempo primo,"
Josh

mood: happy
music: Theme from Goldeneye by Tina Turner
location: dorm

Quoted Randomness:
"That's the difference between them: muffins sink and cupcakes float."
--Nick


|

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?