Sunday, June 26, 2005

Bark Twice If You're In Milwaukee

I'm noticing that these summer blog entries are all going to be fairly limited in detail. Oh well...I'm sure we're all staying busy enough so that we don't have to kill time by blogging and facebooking and whatnot.

I have (again) just a few scattered events of interest to report:

--I got a job!! After going into the store over and over again only to be told the manager on duty was busy, I finally got an interview. (The manager later told me she wouldn't have hired me had I not been so persistent.) So, long story short, I'm going to be working at Blockbuster this summer. They're paying $7.25/hour to start, which is pretty much as good as I could have hoped to make for a short-term summer job. Plus, I get five free rentals each week and 20% off all merchandise in the store. So that's just dandy. But what's probably more important is that I think Blockbuster will be a fun place to work...something at least partially interesting to do with my time. I also asked if I'm able to transfer up to the SLO store, and evidently I am able to do so. It's more likely that I won't want to work fall quarter (with all the band), but Liz (the manager) said I could also quit here and reapply to the SLO store at a later date. So overall I think this is a good situation for me.

--I'm also going to be volunteering with the SD Blood Bank! I have an orientation thingy at the downtown blood bank HQ on Tuesday, and after that I can start helping out at blood drives. I'm excited to find myself becoming passionate about different things (giving blood being one of them). I don't know what has come over me, but I'm so glad I'm wanting to volunteer and lead and participate, etc. Life is good.

--I haven't been overly thrilled with my experiences at Catholic masses lately, so I decided it was a good idea to try something new. This morning I went to church with Alena at the Christian church off of Pomerado Road. Long story short, I enjoyed this service a lot more. It was hard to get used to it in a few ways (e.g. the pastor was wearing a Hawaiian shirt and slacks and not traditional priest's robes). But I found the lesson to be much easier to understand. Catholic mass has lots of old traditions in it...unfortunately for me, I wasn't raised to be thoroughly religious and as a result I have a tough time following it. As a general rule, I get to the end of the mass and realize I can't remember a thing about what was said. I also feel a lot like I'm being guilted into doing good instead of being inspired to do good. I didn't have any of these problems with the service today. I'll skip the details, but the whole thing seemed much more cheerful and applicable to everyday life. I really enjoyed it. That said, I'm not sure how I feel about my (partial) Catholic upbringing. I think another denomination may be more well-suited to my own personal beliefs. I'm not sure how some people close to me will take this news, and to them I have this to say: Isn't it better that I figure out what I believe and follow the religion that helps me along that path? The bottom line is that I believe in God. I trust in Him and I want to live my life according to His teachings. If I can find a religion that helps me do that better than I'm doing it now, wouldn't it be insane not to follow it? I think so. So for now, I'm searching.

Those are the major things. Here are a couple of minor things:

--Went to RB's graduation last Wednesday at Cox Arena at SDSU. Not really exciting at all, but I'm happy for all the new graduates. Congratulations, Class of 2005!

--I went to the Padre game last Thursday with Dad and Steve. It was a good game until the Padres lost it in the 8th: they allowed the Dodgers to tie the score. Then in the bottom of the 9th, the Pads had the winning run on 2nd with only one out. But the pitcher was able to pick off the runner while he was dozing off with a phat leadoff. So extra innings it was, where LA scored the winning run. Sigh. But it was fun anyway. I was SO close to getting up on the bigscreen. The camera man was five feet away from me, filming the people in the row in front of me. I did all I could to get in the shot, but to no avail. Oh well...I guess I'll just have to go back to Petco Park (like...uh...this Saturday!)

--Spent the day with Lauren yesterday, doing a bunch of random things to pass the time. It was lotsa fun. I also went over to Alena's to help her set up her iPod and to help her sister burn an mp3 disc. It's fun to be the computer genius once in a while, which I am most certainly NOT in most situations. Woot woot for simple problems.

--Mom got a new dog. It's Tessie's brother (from the same litter), and we're calling him Cooper (after Cooperstown...because all of our male dogs are named after stadiums). Cooper's original owner was diagnosed with a disease (I think) and she's no longer able to take care of him. So Mom to the rescue! Cooper has turned out to be a mellower dog than Tessie, which I like. He's very friendly, too. So I'd like to extend a big "welcome" to the newest member of this household.

And that's about all I need to talk about. So now I'm going to go to bed, and I'm going to sleep in tomorrow.

He really loves that dog,
Josh

mood: all right
music: Friends on in the background
location: Mom's house

Quoted Randomness:
[These quotes are from a while ago, and I've just forgotten to put them in here.]

"You're so useless...you're like the male nipple of the setup crew."
--Jamie Albin

"I should drink more caffeine. It would keep me from falling asleep and drowning in the mayonnaise while I'm making a sandwich."
--Friendly Sandwich Factory Worker

[On the speakers at the commencement ceremony]
"They're ASI guys. Technically, they're my bosses. Actually technically...I hate them."
--Mike Juner


|

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?